REVEALED: Why only 14 players responded to Cricket Australia’s survey
Australian Cricketers’ Association (ACA) president Greg Dyer has revealed why only 14 players responded to a survey initiated by Cricket Australia to understand the issues of – and how to improve Australian cricket.
It came in response to the findings of the review into Australian cricket which were released on Monday following the dramatic ball-tampering scandal that rocked the nation and the sport calling for an inquiry to be initiated.
The review into the culture of the Australian cricket team found that winning became the number one priority for the team and for the organisation – without considering the costs of doing so.
There were 48 current Australian cricketers asked to complete the survey – however only 14 players responded to Cricket Australia’s request – suggesting an obvious “disconnect” between the organisation and its players.
Dyer said a lack of trust was central to the lack of response from the players.
“If there’s a disconnect between the players and the administrators and there was some question mark about whether the terms of the surveys were going to be on an absolutely anonymous basis,” Dyer said.
“Then you can see why players might be a little reluctant to answer a survey which has come to them effectively through Cricket Australia.
“Conversely, when we (ACA) asked the players to return information and surveys and so forth, the response was much, much higher.
“So any lack of diligence is biting up the wrong tree, the players were vitally interested in this matter and keen to talk (and) keen to respond.
“But you can see their reticence in an environment where there’s a lack of trust between the two parties.”
Dyer acknowledged that although the players did make a monumental mistake as evident with their actions, they were not solely at fault from the atrocity which occurred in Cape Town.
The former Test cricketer further supported his earlier claim that the ACA will stand by its besieged cricketers and fight for the ban to be shortened, despite Cricket Australia Chairman David Peever suggesting the bans will stand.
Steve Smith and David Warner were both suspended from International and Domestic cricket for 12 months, while Cameron Bancroft was banished for nine months.
“We’re going to make a submission to the Board of Cricket Australia in relation to this matter,” Dyer said.
“We think it’s something that they need to reconsider in the circumstances.
“What Dr. Longstaff has said is that there were contributory factors outside the dressing room if you like.
“There were contributions by the system that had been established by Cricket Australia, the win at all costs mentality was an important factor in the decisions that were made.
“We’re not making any apologies for the decisions, the individuals did the wrong thing.”
Australia play South Africa for the first time since the darkest day in Australian cricket in three ODIs beginning on November 4 in Perth.
Listen to the full interview below: