Cameron Smith retires from representative rugby league
Cameron Smith has retired from representative football.
The decision is effective immediately, meaning Smith will not take part in this year’s Origin series.
Smith, 34, said it’s the “right time” to make the call.
“I hope the performances I put in have done the people of Queensland proud,” Smith said.
Smith made his Queensland debut in 2003, and his representative record since is unparalleled:
- 42 Origin appearances (a record)
- 24 Origin wins (also a record)
- 11 Origin series wins
- Captain in six series, lifting the trophy five times
- Dally M Representative Player of the Year four times
- 56 Tests for Australia (33 as captain)
- Two World Cup wins
- Three Four Nations wins
Rugby league legend Wally Lewis told Macquarie Sports Radio Drive the news caught him by surprise.
“I’m shocked as much as anybody around the country,” Wally said.
Click PLAY for Wally Lewis’ take on Smith’s rep retirement