Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Lowndes makes shock decision

Holden and Supercars veteran Craig Lowndes has announced his retirement from full-time racing at the end of the 2018 Supercars season.

The 44-year-old announced his retirement on Friday in Townsville ahead of the Townsville 400 round of the Supercars calendar. Lowndes confirmed this year would be his last in the championship, saying he had made the decision to wave the chequered flag on his 21-year Supercars career two weeks ago.

The six-time Bathurst champion claimed his 106th race in race 8 at the Tasmanian Supersprint earlier this year but said now was the time to walk away from full- time racing.
“This is the hardest decision that myself and my team have had to make,” Lowndes said.

Lowndes is still contracted with Triple Eight Race Engineering for the next 18 months but said he’d been in discussions over his future with team principal Roland Dane for months.

Fox Sports Commentator Jess Yates joined Macquarie Sports Radio’s David Morrow and Matt Thompson to share the latest from Townsville and we ask her about possible links with the team and Harvey Norman in filling Lowndes’ seat.

Hear the scoop here: 

Advertisement